written by dr. cherie carter-scott: some adaptation has been done of the original text, which can be found here
THE RULES FOR BEING HUMAN
1. YOU WILL RECEIVE A BODY - you may like it or not, but it will be yours for the duration of your human curriculum experience
2. YOU WILL LEARN LESSONS - you are enrolled in a full-time, informal school called LIFE. Each day in this school, you will have the opportunity to learn lessons. You may like the lessons or think them irrelevant or stupid
3. THERE ARE NO MISTAKES, ONLY LESSONS - growth is a process of trial and error, or experimentation. The 'failed' experiments are as much a part of the process as the experiment that ultimately 'works'
4. A LESSON IS REPEATED UNTIL IT IS LEARNED - a lesson will be presented to you in various forms until you have learned and integrated it
5. LEARNING LESSONS DOES NOT END - there is no part of life that does not contain its lessons
6. 'THERE' IS NO BETTER THAN 'HERE' - when your 'there' has become 'here', you will simply obtain another 'there' that will again appear better than 'here'
7. OTHERS ARE MERELY MIRRORS OF YOU - you cannot love or hate something about another person unless it reflects to you something you love or hate about yourself
8. WHAT YOU MAKE OF YOUR LIFE IS UP TO YOU - you have all the tools and resources you need, what you do with them is up to you. The choice is yours
9. THE ANSWERS LIE WITHIN YOU - the answers to life's questions lie within you. All you need to do is look, listen, feel and trust
...we "move towards" integrating these core knowings...
and beware of dysfunction masquerading as culture